Dr. Tshepo Leeme

Dr. Tshepo Leeme, Botswana-Harvard Partnership

MSc Epidemiology

September 2017 – September 2018

Tshepo joined the AMBITION team at BHP in January 2017 as a Study Doctor. She commenced her MSc in September 2017, returning to Gaborone in August 2018 to complete her summer project on the utility of CD4 monitoring in both ART-exposed and unexposed individuals. The main aim was to assess whether routine CD4 testing in all HIV positive individuals played a role in the era of “treat all”, and in a setting where viral load testing is widely accessible. She presented her work at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Seattle in March 2019.

“Apart from the harsh winter, I really enjoyed my stay in London whilst reading for my MSc. The lecturers and facilitators had a wealth of knowledge and experience in their field of work. The teaching was of an exceptionally high standard and we were fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to apply the knowledge we had gained through practical lab work.

During my time at LSHTM, I was able to develop my academic writing and research development skills, which will doubtless serve me well in the future as a clinical researcher. The course also allowed me to meet incredible new peers and make lifelong friends. The AMBITION team at LSHTM were very supportive during my time at the school and all in all, ensured that I had a comfortable stay whilst in London.”