About

I am a statistician and Associate Professor in Medical Statistics at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

Overview of my research in Cystic Fibrosis

I am undertaking research which focuses on the use of state-of-the-art statistical methods, and development of some new methods, to gain understanding about the life expectancy of people with CF. In particular I am developing personalised predictions of life expectancy, and time to other events such as transplant, for people with CF. My prediction models are being developed using data from UK Cystic Fibrosis Registry and the US Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry and make use of up-to-date measures on an individual’s health status to provide information about life expectancy and standing relative to people of a similar age.

In 2015 I was awarded a Medical Research Council Fellowship which funds my research.

I am a co-investigator on the study “Cystic Fibrosis Epidemiological Network (CF-EpiNet) – Harnessing Data to Improve Lives”, which is funded by the Cystic Fibrosis Trust Strategic Research Centre grant. This funds a number of researchers and PhD students at several UK institutions. I supervise a PhD student, Simon Newsome, who is funded by this grant. Simon is investigating the effects of treatments and combinations of treatments on various outcomes for people with CF using data from the UK Cystic Fibrosis Registry.

I am also a consultant on two US studies in CF: “Multicenter validation of predictive sputum biomarkers in CF” and “Explanatory models of CF Survival, Infection and Intermediate Clinical Outcomes”.

My background

I did an undergraduate degree in Maths and Statistics at the University of Edinburgh (1998-2002) and then an MSc in Applied Statistics (2002-2003) and  PhD in Medical Statistics (2003-2007) at the University of Oxford.

I have worked in the Department of Medical Statistics at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine since 2012. Prior to that I worked in the MRC Biostatistics Unit in Cambridge.

Other research interests

I have a number of other research interests, which you can find out more about on my lshtm webpage: http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/aboutus/people/keogh.ruth

Teaching

I teach on the MSc in Medical Statistics at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and supervise and advise several PhD students.