The Norwegian fir in all its glory at Trafalgar Square

Twelve days of Christmas

Murallitharan is a medical doctor from Malaysia and currently a Chevening scholar studying the MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing, taught jointly by the School and LSE.

With frost settling on the trees, beautiful sparkling lights on the streets, fir trees bedecked with sparkling ornaments in every corner, it’s exciting that its almost Christmas! And what a great place to spend it in: the city of London! You know it’s the season to be jolly, and with School coming to a break in about a week, there’s a lot of reasons to be just that. It’s a wonderful time to be about and seeing London in all its yuletide glory and in this post, I will do is to offer you some suggestions on interesting Christmas experiences in London over the season that I think you should not give a miss (having been to all this myself). Forgive me as the rest of this post is paraphrased shamelessly from that quaint well-loved Christmas carol “The Twelve Days of Christmas”.

On the first day of Christmas, my Google told to me…
To go see a Christmas tree – walk to St Pancras to see their beautiful Disney tree, visit the awesome Norwegian fir at Trafalgar Square or ride down to see a couple of trees in all their glory at Duke of York Square, Chelsea – find a comfortable spot to sit and have marshmallows and hot chocolate!

On the second day of Christmas, my Google told to me…

To walk around Borough Market – the oldest market in London has so many festive offerings including tubs of mulled wine, oh-my-god-eat-me-and-die-from-the-richness fruit cake, Dickensian decorations and fresh game awaiting you to take them home for a Christmas feast. Other wonderful Christmas Markets include the Winter Market in SouthBank Centre.

Winter Market at Southbank

Winter Market at Southbank

On the third day of Christmas my Google told to me…

To walk around enjoying the beautiful lights in Bond Street, Regent Street, Oxford Street, the Strand and find your way to Covent Garden’s Piazza, decorated with lights, reindeer and even a Santa Express train built from Lego. Sit and enjoy the warmth of the world going by with some of their nice spiced hot apple juice…yummy!

Sunset and the beautiful Christmas lights near the London Eye

On the fourth day of Christmas my Google told to me…

To visit Winter Wonderland , Hyde Park. Revel in the loads of rides (oh the roller coaster.), the magical Ice Kingdom, a jolly Kris Kringle in Santa land and of course, hot gluhwein. You can find loads of stalls with interesting crafts that would make nice little presents.

On the fifth day of Christmas my Google told to me…
To listen to a Christmas concert at St Martin-in-the-Fields (you even get candlelit shows), or the St Clement Danes church, both located near the School. The heavenly voices of chorus angels soaring up to the height of the acoustic-pleasing heights of the chapels are indeed a feast for the musical enthusiast (and even those who just want to listen).

Christmas Carols at Borough Market

Christmas Carols at Borough Market

On the sixth day of Christmas my Google told to me… 

To go to Somerset House and skate skate skate! Take a tumble in the ice, stumble your way through the various skaters and the cold cold evening but oh so much fun (until the bruises start popping out the next day along with other stiff body parts). The Natural History Museum in South Kensington and in front of the London Eye are other possible venues. Tip to the brave: hot buttered rum right after your skating debut: works wonders.

Santas on the loose near St Paul’s

Santas on the loose near St Paul’s

Well, these are the six days of Christmas that I have done already. However, still left on the list for the other six are watching Christmas pantomime, walking along the Victorian streets singing Christmas carols, stuffing myself silly with a traditional Christmas menu in a fancy restaurant, catching a Christmas play – perhaps “A Christmas Carol” – attending mass and evensong in one of the grand old churches, running with Santas in the streets (happens near St Pauls’)… so many Christmassy things to do and so little time!

Now if we could have a little snow…

Blessed holidays to all and a Merry Christmas!