From fungi to falafel at Fort Flaxman

Murallitharan is a medical doctor from Malaysia and currently a Chevening scholar studying the MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing, taught jointly by the School and LSE.

What do an American medic (Cameron Stainken), a British physiologist (James Plunkett), a Guyanese emergency physician (Quincy Jones) and a Malaysian public health physician (my good self) have in common? 111 Flaxman Road. One of the houses under the University of London Student Homes programme, this house was allocated to students from the School, and through a random act of fate, we came to live together here.

Watching the James Bond opening show of Spectre together

Living together with so different a group of people from all over the globe was something I thought daunting, but my fears were quickly put to rest. From the very first day, perhaps bonded by the common interests of studying at the School, we have become the Fearsome Four.

Meals are cooked and shared together and we even have special ‘house nights’ where we have dinner or even go out to watch a movie together. Conversations are never dull in the house, as the title of this post implies. Topics run from the mundane like where is the best falafel in South East London and has been known to switch instantaneously to treatment regimens for immunocompromised patients with fungal infections! We all study different aspects of public health and somehow in the house all the different aspects come together even as we gain a deeper understanding of this science. As my housemate Dr Quincy Jones says, “someday they should put one of those blue plaques outside this house with our names saying we lived here between 2015/2016” (for the uninitiated, as you walk around London you can see these blue plaques outside houses where famous people lived and when they did so).

Malaysians over for a Deepavali gathering at the house

The house has quickly gained a reputation of sorts, hosting various parties and events as you can see from the various pictures. Always lively and cheerful, what I love about all my housemates is the fact that we have somehow found a rhythm and a camaraderie. Everyone has been so understanding and always going that extra mile for our housemates. Our best friends are usually those we make when we are young, though somehow I feel that this year, this house, these guys… the beginning of a long, lasting friendship.

MSc HPPF Class Party in full swing at the house

111 Flaxman Road is one of the houses under the School’s specific allocations under University of London’s student homes. You can view their website at http://studenthomes.london.ac.uk

A selfie outside the house with me and Dr Quincy Jones (Guyana)

1 comment

1. seancavany

Hey Murallitharan,

I lived at Flaxman Road last year – it’s great to hear you are all getting along so well and enjoying the house! I also had a very good year living there.

I have a question for you: have you had a record (vinyl LP) delivered since you’ve been there which none of you ordered, or any other mail with the name ‘Sean Cavany’ on it? I ordered a record just before I moved out, and it didn’t arrive before I moved out, but it was apparently delivered in the end… If you have any information about this it would be greatly appreciated, as it was not a cheap record! I am a PhD student at the school, so if you google my name you will be able to find my LSHTM e-mail address.

Many thanks!
    Sean Cavany