We are looking for Public Health alumni to undertake paid roles facilitating small groups of incoming students as part of the new LSHTM Pentacell Project.
The LSHTM Pentacell Project is an intervention designed to develop a sense of belonging among MSc students in Public Health studying remotely, to promote student mental health and retention. The ongoing global pandemic means that LSHTM’s first “London-based” term of teaching will be done solely online so this pilot will play a key role in increasing and improving student support and wellbeing.
A pentacell would consist of MSc students organised into small groups of five meeting weekly throughout their MSc programme to offer mutual support, share wisdom, develop skills and maintain direction. The pilot aims to support 200 students in 40 pentacells.
Each group will also have an alumni facilitator to support them and guide them through their journey. Each alumni would facilitate three pentacells.
The time commitment would be around 40 hours in the first term with a rate of pay in the region of £15ph. We will review the project at that point and if it is successful, apply for larger amounts of external funding to expand the project.
Specific training and supervision will be provided by a group of LSHTM experts. At the end of each half-term, each Pentacell will prepare a short presentation on how they have used their Pentacell in the preceding five weeks.
The benefits to the students include:
- Increased welfare support, addressing fragmentation and isolation.
- Support for mental health and wellbeing with secondary benefits for their education and future networking.
- Increased sense of institutional belonging and community.
The benefits to alumni include:
- Valuable work experience and career development.
- Increased engagement with LSHTM and an opportunity to give back to our School community.
The benefits to LSHTM include:
- If the pilot proves successful it could prove a useful model for future work with students.
- Increased student satisfaction.
- A closer relationship with students and alumni.
If you are empathic, like to work with people and are interested in group dynamics, this is a great opportunity for you to develop your skills. Please register your interest here.