ICEH Professor Fatima Kyari Appointed CEO of Nigeria’s Medical and Dental Council
April 5, 2024

Prof Kyari receiving the letter of appointment from the Honourable Coordinating Minister for Health and Social Welfare, Professor Muhammad Pate

The International Centre for Eye Health’s Professor Fatima Kyari has been appointed CEO and registrar of the Nigerian Medical and Dental Council. The body, the equivalent of the UK’s General Medical Council, is the regulatory institution for all healthcare professionals in Nigeria.

Alongside work as an ophthalmologist and glaucoma specialist, Professor Kyari has been tasked with a major expansion in medical school training capacity in Nigeria and several other major work force initiatives.

Professor Kyari will continue at LSHTM for one day a week while balancing responsibilities at the MDCN.

Professor Kyari said: “I take all my learnings from ICEH/LSHTM with me. I see myself in a collaborative and active leadership role, with my team excelling through teamwork, innovative styles, focus and with values of accountability and integrity.”