Saïd Foundation Scholarships
The deadline for this scholarship is 23.59 UK time on 30 NOVEMBER 2015
The Saïd Foundation offers twenty postgraduate scholarships annually to outstanding individuals who demonstrate the potential to become leaders and innovators of change.
Scholarships are primarily offered for one year postgraduate courses but in exceptional circumstances it may be possible to consider applicants for two year courses.
There are no restrictions on academic subjects but priority will be given to candidates who can demonstrate that their subject will enable them to contribute to the development of their home country.
Applications are restricted to the Foundation’s partner universities in the UK. A full list of partner universities can be found on the Saïd Foundation website.
Applications for study at universities outside the United Kingdom and applications for undergraduate studies cannot be considered.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR 2016/17
- Applications are restricted to candidates who are Lebanese, Jordanian or Palestinian (including Palestinians inside Israel) and Syrian
- Priority is given to candidates permanently living in the Foundation’s target countries. The Foundation will, however, consider Syrians residing elsewhere due to current circumstances in Syria.
- Applications from candidates who will be thirty five years old or more at the beginning of the 2016/17 academic year cannot be considered;
- Only candidates with the equivalent of a UK 2.1 degree or higher will be eligible for consideration;
- Candidates are not required to have work experience but priority will be given to those who have some work experience and who can demonstrate that their studies will benefit their field of work on return to the Middle East. If the applicant lacks work experience the Foundation can consider experience gained from voluntary or community activities or participation in activities whilst at university;
- Applicants are required to demonstrate that they have the potential to be leaders in their field.
- Evidence that the applicant meets his/her proposed university’s English language conditions is required by the Foundation;
- Successful applicants are required to sign a binding undertaking to apply the skills and knowledge they have gained for the benefit of the Foundation’s target countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine and Syria).
- Applicants must apply on line from 31 July:
- Applications must be submitted by the closing date of 59 UK time on 30 November 2015
- Due to the volume of applications, we regret that we are unable to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications.
INFORMATION TO BE SUBMITTED WITH APPLICATION
You will be required to submit with your online application:
- an offer letter from a UK university for a postgraduate course starting in September 2016 or evidence that you have applied for a place on a postgraduate course at a partner university;
- a copy of your high school marks/certificate;
- a copy of your university transcripts and graduation certificate;
- a copy of your passport or national ID card;
- a copy of your English language results. If you are invited to an interview you must provide evidence that you meet your proposed UK university’s English language requirements;
References will be requested from candidates who are shortlisted and invited to attend an interview.
- Applications are carefully considered by trustees and staff of the Foundation and external assessors;
- The Foundation bases its decisions on the candidate’s academic excellence, the usefulness of the subject to the applicant’s country, the applicant’s leadership potential, future career intentions and their practical ability to make use of the knowledge to be gained in the UK on their return to the Middle East;
- The Foundation conducts interviews for all candidates it has shortlisted;
- Interviews of shortlisted candidates will take place in Lebanon, Jordan and Palestine in late February/early March. Exceptionally, some interviews may be conducted by Skype.
- The Foundation’s Board of Trustees makes its final selection by mid-April;
- The Trustees’ decision is final and there is no right of appeal. Please do not use your contacts to lobby for your scholarship application. This will not help, and may harm, your application.
For other scholarship opportunities please visit: here.