This November marks the Centenary of the end of the First World War and to commemorate this time, LSHTM Archives Service is inviting staff and students to bake cakes using wartime recipes provided by the Library & Archives Service or a recipe you have found yourself. The Archives have delved into their Nutrition collection and selected original Ministry of Food wartime recipes, as well as other First World War recipes, for you to bake.
Bring your baked goods into School on Wednesday 21st November for judging by our renowned and refined cake-tasters David Cole, Catering Manager, and Alan Dangour, Head of Nutrition Group.
This year three prizes will be awarded:one each for authenticity, taste, and appearance. If that isn’t enough, all entrants will be given a £5 voucher redeemable in the School’s Refectory*.
If you want your chance to be crowned Great War Baker of 2018 all you need to do now is follow these four steps:
- Download the Great War Bake Off Recipe Booklet**
- Register your interest (you can register on the day too).
- Choose your favourite wartime recipe and bake at home.
- Finally, on Wednesday 21st November, bring your baked goods to the Manson Foyer/Space (Outside the Manson Theatre) where they will be displayed, judged, and tasted between 12.30 and 1.30pm.
Staff and students will have the chance to sample all the cakes entered in the Bake Off!
Please note that you will be required to bring a list indicating your ingredients for health and safety purposes.
Contact the Archives team if you have any questions.
* Vouchers musts be used within two weeks of issue. Vouchers cannot be exchanged for cash. Vouchers will only be provided to those exhibiting a baked good.
** This PDF is formatted as a booklet therefore recipes will not be in numerical order.