These take place on:
Tuesday 17th May 09:00 to 11:00
Wednesday 18th May 15:30 to 17:30
Thursday 19th May 13:00 to 15:00
Monday 27th June 13:00 to 15:00
Tuesday 28th June 09:00 to 11:00
Wednesday 29th June 15:30 to 17:30
Thursday 30th June 11:30 to 13:30
All the above session are the same – you only need to book on one session.
HOW TO BOOK
Step 1: please book a place on any session at https://studentbookings.lshtm.ac.uk/index.php/courses/library (all times are BST).
Step 2: to join a Zoom session on the day, go to the Library’s Moodle page on the date you have booked for and click on the Zoom link for that session.
The Zoom links are listed here: https://ble.lshtm.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=88§ion=4.
Who should attend:
- MSc students (both ‘intensive’ & ‘distance learning’ programmes) who did not have literature searching sessions scheduled in your MSc Programme timetable: please sign up these sessions.
- MSc students who have already attended an Effective Literature Searching training session, and want to have a refresher session, you are also welcome to sign up.
NB: if you have attended a literature searching session as part of your MSc Programme, you might prefer to re-watch the recording of that session on your Programme’s Moodle page, or the MSc Public Health recording on the Library Moodle page.
These sessions are repeated on each day listed above. Just choose whichever session works best for your timetable / timezone.
The Refresher Sessions cover:
- Constructing a Literature Search Strategy. Part 1: search concepts, search terms & building your search:
- Selecting search concepts & keywords/search terms
- Choosing the right resources to search (OVID Medline will be the main database used in these sessions)
- Using Boolean logic to structure an effective search
- How to use search tools (including truncation, wildcards and proximity searching)
- Constructing a Literature Search Strategy. Part 2: subject headings, filters, transferring your search:
- Subject headings: what are they? Why do you need to use them? How do you include them in your search strategy?
- Using search filters and limits
- Running your search & transferring it across databases
- Finding full text – what if LSHTM library doesn’t have what I need?
- Planning & managing your information – get organised & save time!
Comments from previous years’ attendees:
“really great course”
“very good and very helpful”
If you cannot attend any of the above sessions, a recording of one session will me made available on the Library Moodle page, where you will also find:
- recordings of full Literature Searching sessions
- presentations on grey literature and other aspects of the searching process
- plus self-teach mini-modules that you can work through in your own time.
NB – if you haven’t already had a 1 to 1 sessions with a Librarian, you can still book one to one appointment with a librarian to discuss your own search strategy for your MSc Project. These can be booked online via https://studentbookings.lshtm.ac.uk/index.php/courses/library or via the Library Moodle page https://ble.lshtm.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=88 .
If you have any questions on the above sessions, please contact us via ServiceDesk or email us at: email@example.com.