A new beginning…

After a productive nine years working as a post-doc in David Horn’s lab, the 1st June 2012 is the day that I get a bit of independence – thanks to the Wellcome Trust Institutional Strategic Support Fund I have the opportunity to build a group and plough my own furrow in Trypanosomiasis research at LSHTM.

Work in the lab will focus on the molecular and cell biology of the African trypanosome, Trypanosoma brucei, with particular emphasis on the parasite’s interaction with its host environment. One approach to this area will be the selection of a bloodstream form RNAi library under various conditions, enabling the identification of parasite factors responsible for the uptake and intracellular transit of environmental, host and parasite-derived molecules; this includes, but is not limited to, drugs, nutrients, innate immune factors and the products of parasite metabolic processes.

This site will provide details of current research in the lab, maintain a summary of past and recent successes, and provide the Trypanosomiasis research community with details of useful resources and protocols. I’ll also post details of any interesting developments, as they occur, such as conferences and job opportunities.