Good news from the LSHTM Archives Service – we have been awarded accreditation.
Accredited Archive Services ensure the long-term collection, preservation and accessibility of our archive heritage. Accreditation is the UK quality standard which recognises good performance in all areas of archive service delivery. Achieving accredited status demonstrates that the LSHTM Archives Service has met clearly defined national standards relating to management and resourcing; the care of its unique collections and what the service offers to its entire range of users.
The Archive Service Accreditation Panel “…commended this really effective small specialist service and its strong, clear management approach. They noted the good links between policy and planning, and particularly the impressive planning towards collections development. They look forward to seeing the impact of formal audience development planning as this is introduced to the same high standards.”
More about Archive Service Accreditation
• Archive Service Accreditation is the UK standard for archive services. It defines good practice and identifies agreed standards within the archive sector.
• It is a UK wide quality standard which offers a benchmark for gauging performance, recognising achievement and driving improvement within the archives sector.
• Archive Service Accreditation is awarded by the UK Archive Service Accreditation Committee, representing the entire archive sector.
• It is supported by a UK wide partnership of The National Archives , National Records of Scotland, Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, the Welsh Government through its CyMAL: Museums Archives and Libraries Wales division, Archives and Records Association, Scottish Council on Archives, and Archives and Records Council Wales.
An accredited archive service is:
• Externally recognised for their good performance in all aspects of governance and management, collections management , and provision of services to all users
• Sustainable and robust, ensuring the long term acquisition, preservation and accessibility of our archive heritage
• Adaptive, relevant and resilient in a changing internal and external environment
• Clear about their mission, ensuring effective planning, decision making and optimal use of resources
• Responsive to all their stakeholders and trusted in the management of their unique collections
• Supported by expert staff within clear and effective governance structures